Friday, April 17, 2009

Taking the Essentials

As I recover from this infernal leg injury I figured I would take a quick inventory of what I am bringing on this biking trip. Whether it happens this year or next I can’t wait to take some of these simple living principles on the road. And it all starts with stripping everything down to the bare essentials.

As you review this please note that I am still finding ways to cut down on weight and save space. For example, I have found that putting stuff inside my hiking boots saves a ton of space. I’m also going to be servicing the bike every 3 weeks along the road, thus, no need for chain lube, degreaser, etc…On the clothing side, I just don’t think I can cut much more than what I have now. It would be different if I was heading out in June and I could guarantee that I would not need warm clothing until hitting Colorado. As it is, it looks like I will be dealing with some pretty fickle weather so I’ve decided to stick with the list as is. Any suggestions/comments very much appreciated.

BIKING GEAR

[top left to right OR top right to bottom]
-Biking t-shirts (2)
-Biking shirts (1)
-Biking tights (1)
-Biking leg warmers (1)
-Biking shorts (2)
-Biking winter gloves (1)
-Biking winter socks (1)
-Biking socks (2)
-Rain pants (1)
-Biking gloves (1)
-Helmet cover (for rain) (1)
-Biking winter gloves (light) (1)
-Biking fleece (not pictured) (1)
-Goretex biking shell (not pictured) (1)
-Helmet (not pictured)

CLOTHING GEAR

-Base layer (pants and top) (1)
-Second layer (1)
-Windstopper jacket (1)
-Jeans (1)
-Boxers (1)
-Goretex rain jacket (outer layer) (1)
-Shorts (1)
-t-shirts (2)

ESSENTIALS AND TOILETRIES

-Bike lock
-Sun screen (2)
-Compass
-Tic tacs
-Camping flashlight
-Toilet paper
-Swiss Army Knife
-Tire pressure gauge
-hand-held tire pump (not pictured) (1)
-Glasses + case
-Sunglasses + case
-Soap
-Towel
-Emergency shower system
-Contacts and related
-Toiletries
-Laundry cord

CAMPING I

-Pillow
-Sleeping pad
-Eyeshades/ear plugs
-Tent
-Sleeping bag (not included in photo)

CAMPING II AND BIKE MAINTENANCE

-Pot
-Skillet
-Collapsible Bowl
-MRS Whisperlite International cooking stove
-Steripen water purifier
-Cup
-Fuel cartridge
-Fuel
-Utensils
-Purel
-Camp soap (dishes, body, hair, etc…)
-Spices
-Lighter
-Tire tubes (2)
-Bike maintenance (multitool, tire levers, tape, chain links, tire boot patch, tire patch kit)

MISCELLANEOUS 1

-Laptop
-Laptop cord
-DVD drive
-Laptop USB connection
-Powermonkey external battery plus solar charger
-Camera charger
-Camera plus case
-Waterproof lightweight backpack

MISCELLANEOUS 2

-Headband (1)
-Sandals (1)
-Hiking Boots (1)
-First Aid bag (band-aids, cortisone, Neosporin, etc…) (1)
-Insect repellant (1)
-AC Maps (3) (getting other maps via mail on the road)
-Yoga book (1) (super light cheesy yoga book with all the basic poses)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Green City News | Proudly Powered by Blogger