Wednesday, March 18, 2009

On Sexism: Women Should Know Their Place


[Image: www.adrants.com]

“I would never hit a woman in my life…but I’d shake the shit out of her!” Chris Rock.

Since the inception of Adventures in Voluntary Simplicity I have worked hard to create a forum for readers to express their views openly and without fear of censorship. That is why I’ve decided to devote an entire post to the issue of sexism as it relates to this blog.

While I don’t think this post quite fits the “voluntary simplicity” rubric, I think there is some value in allowing readers the opportunity to express their views on this topic. The reality is that, rightly or wrongly, poor old Jack has been occasionally accused of being downright sexist, both in thoughts and deeds. As a refresher, here are some posts where this sentiment might have come up:

Picture If You Will

Last Night’s Call

A Day in the Life (Part 1)

On Marriage

Dear Mom: FUCK YOU

And let’s not forget the commentary in response to the provocative “Girls Riding Mechanical Bulls are Hot” post. I definitely dug that discussion.

So, where do I come out on this? At the risk of polluting the discussion that may follow, I will say the following:

  1. I don’t see myself as sexist in any way. I have, even through some of the darkest, most frivolous times in my life, been a dire-hard supporter of woman's rights. Being sexist is wrong. Period.
  2. I am, however, aware that I have chosen to embrace a journey that may ultimately realign most if not all of my core beliefs. I can’t discount the possibility that the person I am today won’t be derided by the Jack of tomorrow.
  3. I sincerely believe that the bulk of readers who believe I have sexist tendencies are either (a) misinterpreting my often imprecise narrative; (b) not regular readers (in which case they are reading posts in a vacuum and don’t see that I am trying to move away from certain patterns of behavior); or (c) sexually repressed and/or easily offended.
  4. I absolutely abhor political correctness. It corrupts discourse and is a short-cut to thinking.

And speaking of political correctness, here’s a little bit of wisdom to brighten up your day:

“What's the first thing a woman does when she gets back from the battered women's clinic?
The god damned dishes if she knows what's good for her.”

“A man is driving along in his car when he suddenly gets pulled over by the police. The man pokes his head out of the window and says "what seems to be the problem officer?" The cop looks bluntly at him and says "are you aware that a woman fell out of your car about 2 minutes ago?" The man let out a sigh. "Thank you for that, I thought I had gone deaf!"

And for good measure, here’s one of my favorite Family Guy segments of all time:

Stewie and Horse Sperm

Sharing similar gems about how men might be ignorant, dirty, and all-around assholes is definitely welcome.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Green City News | Proudly Powered by Blogger