Saturday, February 28, 2009

Girls Riding Mechanical Bulls are Hot

I’ve been in Memphis all of 12 hours and I’ve already fallen in love with this place. This city is teeming with history, fantastic music and just enough Jack Daniel's to make you forget your troubles. And boy are the memories kicking in. Anyone remember this song?:

“Put on my blue suede shoes
And I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the pouring rain
W.C. Handy -- won't you look down over me
Yeah I got a first class ticket
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Then I'm walking in Memphis
Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel”

So, of course, the first thing we did last night was head down Main Street toward Beale. Along the way I noticed how welcoming Memphis was to out-of-towners:

After gorging ourselves on ribs and fries we met up with Elvis at a joint on Beale. And what do you know…the dude was more than happy to sing a couple of tunes before leaving the building:

To cap off the evening, we headed down to Double Deuce to watch drunk girls ride a mechanical bull at a slow rhythmic pace. Hands were touching boobs, unmentionables were shown, several wardrobe malfunctions were instigated, and liquor was everywhere:

Seriously, my dear reader, can life get any simpler?

-------------------

Next up, the requisite pilgrimage to Graceland, a dip into the history of Sun Records (any Johnny Cash fans out there??) and, of course, a drive over to the Lorraine Motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Green City News | Proudly Powered by Blogger