Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Rejecting Elitism


Talk about elitists gone wild. Check out the youtube highlights and accompanying article below:

Hatred for “Wife Swap” husband still grows

YOU TUBE HIGHLIGHTS

This whole Stephen Fowler story resonates with me. Over the past few years I’ve happily immersed myself in the sweet, asphyxiating waters of elitism. I’ve used my education, my money, and my presumed knowledge of the world to define who I am and to exclude those ‘unfortunate’ souls who seemingly lacked the intellectual and/or cultural capacity to be in the same room with me.

I deeply regret that attitude. I really do.

But nothing, it seems, is beyond the redemptive power of simple living. I’ve been humbled by this process. I’ve learned that status, money and book smarts pales in comparison to common sense and decency. I’ve learned that people who live in so-called “fly-over country” (you know, the real America that lies somewhere between the East and West coasts) have much to teach someone like me. I’ve learned that the most essential news about this country and the world at large does not always appear on the front page of the New York Times.

In essence, I’ve learned that I know nothing. I find it somewhat ironic that embracing simple living has led me to a Socratic conclusion that is, itself, a product of an intellectual elitism I no longer value. Ironic indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Green City News | Proudly Powered by Blogger