Sunday, September 6, 2009

Update on Nutrition

nutr [image: extension.umd.edu]

I thought it was a good time to check in regarding the nutrition plan I brought up last month.

The truth is that I've been too busy and too nomadic to really sit down and put together a more oranized long-term nutrition plan. On the other hand, I have spent more than just a few hours perusing some of the titles referenced in the comments section of my previous post. In fact, during my visit to NYC a couple of weeks ago, I spent an entire day perusing several copies of Pollan and Weil texts (recommended by Marissa, LAS, Meg, and others) at the Barnes & Noble right on Union Square. This is in addition to the many hours spent surfing the web doing independent research.

I still want to sit down and come up with a more concrete plan. If you've read this blog you know that I have a penchant for list-making and goal-setting that is, for better or worse, all-encompassing. But what is becoming increasingly clear is that I am swayed by the views of people like Amy, Debbi and others who advocate a much more body-centric view of nutrition. Maybe the focus should be on how my body feels after eating certain types of foods and gradually recalibrating how I eat going forward.

Regardless of how this plays out, I'm already taking baby steps in what I think is the right direction. I have already started to limit the amount of red meat I eat (right up to July, I ate red meat with almost every meal, save for breakfast) and have greatly increased my intake of fruits and vegetables. And though I haven't completely moved to organic stuff I have a feeling I will be a convert before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Green City News | Proudly Powered by Blogger